07 October 2013

Scalia and Old Splithoof

Should we infer from an interview in New York that Justice Scalia believes that the Prince of Darkness is what some people now refer to as a slow learner (or merely that he's having fun winding up the bien pensants) -
Have you seen evidence of the Devil lately?
You know, it is curious. In the Gospels, the Devil is doing all sorts of things. He’s making pigs run off cliffs, he’s possessing people and whatnot.
And that doesn’t happen very much anymore.
No. It’s because he’s smart.
So what’s he doing now?
What he’s doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He’s much more successful that way. That has really painful implications for atheists.
Are you sure that’s the ­Devil’s work?
I didn’t say atheists are the Devil’s work.
Well, you’re saying the Devil is ­persuading people to not believe in God. Couldn’t there be other reasons to not believe?
Well, there certainly can be other reasons. But it certainly favors the Devil’s desires. I mean, c’mon, that’s the explanation for why there’s not demonic possession all over the place. That always puzzled me. What happened to the Devil, you know? He used to be all over the place. He used to be all over the New Testament.
Right.
What happened to him? He just got wilier.
He got wilier.
And on it goes.

The same interview includes -
While your opinions are delectable to read, I’m wondering: Do you ever regret their tone? Specifically, that your tone might have cost you a majority?
No. It never cost me a majority. And you ought to be reluctant to think that any justice of the Supreme Court would make a case come out the other way just to spite Scalia. Nobody would do that. You’re dealing with significant national issues. You’re dealing with real litigants—no. My tone is sometimes sharp. But I think sharpness is sometimes needed to demonstrate how much of a departure I believe the thing is. Especially in my dissents. Who do you think I write my dissents for?
Law students.
Exactly. And they will read dissents that are breezy and have some thrust to them. That’s who I write for.
For Australian law students there's less entertainment but somewhat more bite in the Melbourne Uni interview with former HCA justice William Gummow.